Friday, June 3, 2011

Sheesh! I was trying to help!

While out in my back garden, the one dominated by a huge box elder tree, I noticed a baby bird in the grass. Not wanting to accidentally step on it, I decided to shoo it over to a more protected spot. Little did I know my good intentions would create a riot among every bird in the yard! The birds were doing their sharp, clattering alarm calls, the baby was squawking at me (with very p'o'ed looks over its little shoulder) and all the birds followed me, cawing, chattering and squawking over my head all the way through the tree as I moved the baby along.  Finally the mom, or maybe the dad, flew down into the yard and did a wounded bird act trying to get me to leave it's baby alone.  I told the parent (and all the other birds that were carrying on in sympathy) that I was trying to help! I wasn't touching the baby! I'd leave it under this nice trailer for safety, shade, and easy access, but by the time I got it there, the whole yard of birds was involved and nothing would do until I finished my work and left the area.  I was a little surprised that blackbirds and grackles cared so much about a baby robin!  I guess, when one bird's not happy, nobody's happy!  I'm just glad none of the birds decided to dive bomb me - or bomb me in another way!

No comments:

Post a Comment