Monday, March 14, 2011

Signs of Spring?

No, the snow hasn't melted - at all, it seems, and most days I still need my winter jacket if I'm going to be out more than a few minutes. But there are birds in the feeder again and it's nice to hear them twittering amongst themselves in the mornings and calling to each other whenever I am outside during the day. Usually, even in the winter, we have little juncos (snowbirds), a few hardy sparrows and, as long as I feed them, mourning doves, but this past winter there haven't been any and I missed them a lot! I don't know where they were all winter - I think they went further South than usual . . . for all the good that did them this year.
Also, the sun is more Spring-like. I can't really explain that, except to say that it is. It's like it is shining more gently, and higher in the sky, instead of the low, hard Winter light we've had for so long.
And there is a "near 60 degrees" day in the forecast this week.  I swear, if it hits 60, I'll put the top down on my car and go for a (chilly) drive to celebrate!


But I haven't seen any robins yet, and I won't even think about last year when we saw a whole mess of them in the (bare) yard on January 31st. That was a fluke, though, I admit.  I think they're just waiting till there is some bare ground to walk on.  But aren't we all.

No comments:

Post a Comment