Wednesday, March 23, 2011

What a mess

I suppose this isn't the sort of stuff one puts in a blog, but it's what's on my mind, so it's what you get.

Yesterday our sump pump, that keeps excess groundwater away from our foundation, was rattling and sounding like it was about to die.  My husband did what he could for it, then went to work, telling me to keep an eye on it.  Within an hour of his leaving, the pump died completely.  I put down towels, hoping to control any overflow, and called my husband, who was able to take a day of vacation and come home.  He got a new pump, installed it and all was well.  . . . we thought.

This morning I woke about 3, just feeling something wasn't right.  Upon hearing the pump, I knew there was a problem. I went down and checked and saw that the room with the pump in it was flooded and water was spewing out every time it kicked in - about once a minute!  I ran/slipped/stumbled up the stairs and woke my husband. He fixed the pipe that had come loose while I began mopping up and squeegeeing the water to the floor drain. Half an hour later, the floor was just wet and rugs that were on the floor were hanging over chairs to eventually dry.

Now if it would ever stop raining/snowing and give the pump a break, I'd be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment